7.13 Key uncertainties and gaps in knowledge
Gaps in knowledge are defined as missing information that could be developed by research. Uncertainties are missing information that cannot be developed through research. Key uncertainties in the projection of mitigation potential and cost in 2030 are:
- The rate of technology development and diffusion;
- The cost of future technology;
- Future energy and carbon prices;
- The level of industry activity in 2030; and
- Policy drivers, both climate and non-climate.
Key gaps in knowledge are: base case energy intensity for specific industries, especially in transition economies; co-benefits, SD implications of mitigation options and consumer preferences.