Working Group I of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is filling the position of
Information Technology Officer in the Technical Support Unit (IPCC WGI)
Located at the University of Paris-Saclay (France)
The Working Group I (WGI) Technical Support Unit (TSU) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is recruiting an IT Officer. The TSU is the team that supports the preparation of the WGI contribution to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report (AR6): the assessment of the physical science basis of climate change.
The IT Officer reports to the Head of Operations and works closely with all staff members in the Operations and Science teams. This position will also be part of the IPCC Web Team and liaise with the IT Officers of the IPCC Secretariat and other TSUs (WGII, WGIII) on coordinated process and infrastructure activities across the IPCC. The IT officer also collaborates closely with IT officers from lnstitut Pierre Simon Laplace / Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de !’Environnement (IPSL/LSCE) where the WGI data centre is hosted.
The successful candidate is central to the efficient work of the Technical Support Unit team in implementing the assessment process of Working Group I, facilitating the work of author teams from around the world. Activities will range from system administration to supporting collaborative IT environments.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic in supporting rigorous and robust operations for the production of the IPCC assessment of the state of the art of climate knowledge for policymakers and stakeholders around the world. We also encourage applicants who are interested in facilitating accessible community practices, data literacy and computational skills for data management and analysis for climate science information.
This is a fixed-term position of 9 months, funded by the French Government through the University of Paris Saclay, with an appointment as soon as possible.
- System administration;
- Maintenance of data archive, document version control, backup and security;
- Development and maintenance of WGI website and tools;
- IT guidance and support to the WGI TSU staff;
- IT support for IPCC authors, review editors. expert reviewers and bureau members working with WGI TSU IT resources and tools.
- Minimum requirement is Bae+2 (BTS, DUT) or equivalent studies or degree in Information Technology or in Science;
- Relevant professional IT experience;
- Knowledge of system administration of local networks with the highest security requirements;
- System knowledge of PC, Macintosh, networks, backup systems;
- Experience in Office 365 and Microsoft Office, Exchange Online, Azure Information Protection, SharePoint;
- Good working level of written and spoken English;
- Autonomy, flexibility and capacity to respect time constraints;
- High level of motivation and social skills, ability to work in an international context.
- Knowledge of Static Site Generators like Gatsby, Jekyll or Hugo and GraphQL or RestAPIs;
- Ability to manipulate and transform electronic documents using VBA or Python;
- Expertise in different coding environments (e.g. Python, R, Matlab, shell scripting etc.) and data development, access and curation would be an asset;
- Experience in open source community development, code and data versioning (e.g. GitHub, Bitbucket, etc) and the development of best practices would be an asset.
Please send your application consisting of a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, and contact details of two referees to Ms Clotilde Péan, Head of Operations, WGI TSU (email@example.com) by 13 September 2021.