The IPCC is currently in its Sixth Assessment cycle. During this cycle, the Panel will produce three Special Reports, a Methodology Report on national greenhouse gas inventories and the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6). More information on the Sixth Assessment cycle is available here.
The meeting to draft the outline of the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) took place in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) from 1 to 5 May 2017. The draft outlines were approved by the 46th Session of the Panel in early September 2017. The Working Group I contribution to the Sixth Assessment Report will be finalized in 2021.
Strategic Planning Schedule (updated: 19 December 2017)
Authors and Review Editors
On 15 September 2017, a call for nomination of authors was sent to governments, observer organizations and IPCC Bureau Members. They were asked to submit their nominations via their focal point before Friday 27 October 2017 (midnight GMT +1).
The Working Group I Bureau met on 29 January to select the author teams. The IPCC Bureau met on 30 January 2018 to agree on the selected list of authors.
The full list of Authors and Review Editors for the Working Group I contribution by chapter is available here
The scoping meeting for the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) took place in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) from 1 to 5 May 2017. The draft outlines were approved by the Panel when it met in September 2017
The approved outline of the Working Group I contribution to the Sixth Assessment Report is available here
A call for nomination of experts to attend the scoping meeting was issued to governments, observer organizations and IPCC bureau members. They were requested to submit their nominations via their focal points before midnight (CET) on 31 October 2016. The deadline was later extended to Monday 14 November 2016
In order to determine robust areas of consideration, participants in the Scoping Meeting had a broad understanding of climate change and related issues, and collectively had expertise in the following areas:
Working Group I
- Climate system (atmosphere, ocean, land surface, cryosphere): observations (past and present), processes, and interactions.
- Natural and anthropogenic drivers of climate change (land use, well-mixed greenhouse gases, short-lived forcers including aerosols), carbon and other biogeochemical cycles.
- Climate modelling, model evaluation, predictions, scenarios and projections, detection and attribution, on global and regional scales.
- Earth system feedbacks and dynamical responses, including abrupt change.
- Climate variability, climate phenomena and teleconnections, extremes and implications for regional climate.
Cross-cutting areas of expertise
- Co-benefits, risks and co-costs of mitigation and adaptation, including interactions and trade-offs, technological and financial challenges and options.
- Ethics and equity: climate change, sustainable development, gender, poverty eradication, livelihoods, and food security.
- Perception of risks and benefits of climate change, adaptation and mitigation options, and societal responses, including psychological and sociological aspects.
- Climate engineering, greenhouse gas removal, and associated feedbacks and impacts.
- Regional and sectorial climate information.
- Epistemology and different forms of climate related knowledge and data, including indigenous and practice-based knowledge.
- North America
- Central and South America
- Polar regions
- Small islands
On 21 September 2016, the IPCC Secretariat sent out a pre-scoping questionnaire to governments and observer organizations to identify policy relevant questions and scientific and technical topics to be addressed in the Sixth Assessment Report (deadline: 30 November 2016, extended to 12 December 2016). The responses received were synthesized and made available to the participants of the AR6 Scoping Meeting and the Panel.