The IPCC is currently in its Sixth Assessment cycle. During this cycle, the Panel will produce three Special Reports, a Methodology Report on national greenhouse gas inventories and the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6). More information on the Sixth Assessment cycle is available here.
The meeting to draft the outline of the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) took place in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) from 1 to 5 May 2017. The draft outlines were approved by the 46th Session of the Panel when it met in early September 2017. The Working Group III contribution to the Sixth Assessment Report will be finalized in 2021.
Strategic Planning Schedule (updated: 19 December 2017)
Authors and Review Editors
On 15 September 2017, a call for nomination of authors was sent to governments, observer organizations and IPCC Bureau Members. They were asked to submit their nominations via their focal point before Friday 27 October 2017 (midnight GMT +1).
The Bureaus of the three IPCC Working Groups met to select the author teams from the list of nominations on 29 – 30 Janaury 2018.
The full list of Authors and Review Editors for the Working Group III contribution is available here
The scoping meeting for the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) took place in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) from 1 to 5 May 2017. The draft outlines were approved by the Panel when it met in September 2017
The approved outline of the Working Group III contribution to the Sixth Assessment Report is available here
A call for nominations for experts to attend the scoping meeting was issued to governments, observer organizations and IPCC bureau members. They were requested to submit their nominations via their focal points before midnight (CET) on 31 October 2016. The deadline was later extended to Monday 14 November 2016
In order to determine robust areas of consideration, participants in the Scoping Meeting had a broad understanding of climate change and related issues, and collectively had expertise in the following areas:
Working Group III
- Socio-economic scenarios, modelling and transitions at the global, regional, national and local scales including integrated assessment approaches.
- Energy systems including supply and energy demand sectors (e.g., industry, transport, buildings). Mitigation responses in agriculture, forestry, land use and waste.
- Consumption patterns, human behavior and greenhouse gas emissions, including economic, psychological, sociological and cultural aspects.
- Policies, agreements and instruments at the international, national and subnational levels, including those at the city level.
- Technology innovation, transfer and deployment.
- Financial aspects of response options
Central and South America
On 21 September 2016, the IPCC Secretariat sent out a pre-scoping questionnaire to governments and observer organizations to identify policy relevant questions and scientific and technical topics to be addressed in the Sixth Assessment Report (deadline: 30 November 2016, extended to 12 December 2016). The responses received were synthesized and made available to the participants of the AR6 Scoping Meeting and the Panel.