Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is filling the position of
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is beginning its Seventh Assessment cycle. The Working Group II Technical Support Unit (TSU), which provides the scientific, technical and organizational support of the activities and products of the Working Group focusing on the Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability of Climate Change, is co-located at Deltares in the Netherlands and at the Singapore Management University in Singapore.
What can you expect as the Deputy Head of Operations
You will support the operational and logistical aspects of the TSU and the activities and products of Working Group II during this Seventh Assessment cycle. Under the direction of the Head of TSU / Management you will support the development and management of the operational aspects during the scoping, preparation, review, and completion of the IPCC Working Group II reports.
Other tasks include:
- Support the editorial and production aspects of report preparation, including the compilation of drafts and the copyedit, typesetting, layout and proofing of the report for the publication.
- Support the operational and logistical organization of the international meetings and sessions of the Working Group and their outputs.
The Deputy Head of Operations will work closely with the Head of Operations at the Singapore office of the TSU. More information can also be found at the website Working Group II — IPCC
What we expect from the Deputy Head of Operations
You a least have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
- Experience in the production or editing of scientific or technical documents;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to interact with the international science community;
- Have experience with planning and organizing international meetings;
- Experience in developing and organizing complex processes;
- Experience working with multi-cultural teams;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- High degree of stress-resistance and capacity to work to deadlines;
- Knowledge of and experience working with UN processes, in particular IPCC, would be an asset.
In addition, willingness to travel internationally is a must.
Educational Level: Bachelor, WO / Master
Contact person Deltares: Bart van den Hurk
What we offer
This is a fixed term contract from Deltares for the duration of the IPCC Seventh Assessment cycle; planned as 5-7 years. The precise duration of the cycle and the employment contract is pending a decision by the IPCC Panel, expected in 2024.
The position is funded by the Dutch government and employment conditions (e.g., remuneration scales, insurance and other benefits) is through Deltares. We offer:
- The opportunity to work with a motivated and enthusiastic team in an informal work environment with global exposure;
- We have an open, inclusive and collaborative culture;
- A market-based salary, with scaling based on your experience;
- 34 days of vacation, vitality budget and a mobility budget;
- Here you can find more information about our attractive terms of employment.
Are you interested in this job and do you fit the job qualifications? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter plus a recommendation letter or references which we can contact. For more information you may contact Bart van den Hurk, Co-Chair of Working Group II or Brian de Bruin (Recruitment Officer +31615267686).
Interviews will start in the week of October 31. Starting date: as soon as possible.
This position is for the team is located at Deltares (Delft, the Netherlands).
We assist with the application to the Immigration Service (IND) if you don’t have an EU passport. Together with EMG we make sure everything is arranged.