Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is filling the position of
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is beginning its Seventh Assessment cycle. For the Working Group II Technical Support Unit, we are looking for an expert in the climate- or environmental-science related field! Will you join Working Group II? Please read on!
What can you expect as Deputy Head of Science
Under the direction of the Head of TSU / Science, you have a shared responsibility for the development of the scientific structure of the activities and products of Working Group II during the IPCC Seventh Assessment cycle.
This includes support of the scoping, preparation, review, and completion of the reports. You provide scientific assistance to the meetings and sessions of the Working Group. Furthermore, you help with the preparation and reporting on IPCC Workshops and Expert Meetings.
As Deputy Head of Science, you will coordinate the scientific support at the Netherlands office of the TSU and will occasionally replace the Head of TSU / Science in leadership or representation roles. Strong social skills and the ability to engage with the international science community are essential for success in this position.
What we expect from the Deputy Head of Science
- PhD in climate- or environmental-science related field, preferably in the following fields: climate change impacts, climate adaptation, environmental modelling, socio-economic system analysis;
- Experience with leading, planning, organizing and executing multi-task workloads;
- Scientific publications in refereed journals;
- Excellence in report writing and editing;
- Proficient in oral and written English at the science level;
- Experience with working in a multicultural team or on international projects;
- Stress-resistance and ability to work precisely and effectively under time constraints;
In addition, willingness to travel internationally is required. Due to the ambition for cultural diversity in the TSU applicants from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.
Educational Level: PHD
Contact person Deltares: Bart van den Hurk
What we offer
This is a fixed term contract from Deltares for the duration of the IPCC Seventh Assessment cycle; planned as 5-7 years. The precise duration of the cycle and the employment contract is pending a decision by the IPCC Panel, expected in 2024. The position is funded by the Dutch government and employment conditions (e.g., remuneration scales, insurance and other benefits) is through Deltares. We offer:
- The opportunity to work with a motivated and enthusiastic team in an informal work environment with global exposure;
- A market-based salary, with scaling based on your experience;
- We have an open, inclusive and collaborative culture;
- 34 days of vacation, vitality budget and a mobility budget;
- Here you can find more information about our attractive terms of employment of Deltares.
The Working Group II Technical Support Unit (TSU)
The Working Group II Technical Support Unit, which provides the scientific, technical and organizational support of the activities and products of the Working Group focusing on the Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability of Climate Change. The TSU is co-located at Deltares in the Netherlands and at the Singapore Management University in Singapore. This position is located at Deltares (Delft, the Netherlands). More information can also be found at the website Working Group II — IPCC
Are you interested in this job and do you fit the job qualifications? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter plus a recommendation letter or references which we can contact. For more information you may contact Bart van den Hurk, Co-Chair of Working Group II or Brian de Bruin (Recruitment Officer +31615267686).
Interviews will start in the week of October 31.
Starting date: as soon as possible. We assist with the application to the Immigration Service (IND) if you don’t have a EU passport. Together with EMG we make sure everything is arranged.