The Technical Support Unit (TSU) of the IPCC AR6 Synthesis Report (SYR) is looking for an Assistant to join the TSU, with exceptional management skills and strong demonstrated background in climate science.
The Synthesis Report Technical Support Unit (SYR TSU) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) provides scientific, technical, operational support for the production of the SYR under the guidance of the IPCC Chair. The SYR TSU is located in Seoul, Korea at the IPCC Chair Office.
Based on the reports of the three Working Groups (WG) of the IPCC, as well as on the three Special Reports on Global Warming of 1.5°C, on Climate Change and Land, and on the Ocean and the Cryosphere in a Changing Climate, the IPCC AR6 SYR provides an integrated view of climate change science as the final part of the AR6.
IPCC assessments provide a scientific basis for governments at all levels to develop climate-related policies. IPCC assessments are written by international author teams of hundreds of scientists. Further information can be found at www.ipcc.ch.
The SYR TSU Assistant is to provide technical assistance to the Head of TSU and other TSU members in the development of IPCC Synthesis Report and supports for meetings/events. The Assistant will have a variety of tasks with regard to content, organization and logistics, all related to the preparation and reviews of the draft, and final draft of the SYR, as well as the production and publication of final report of the SYR.
- Work closely with the IPCC Chair and the Head of the SYR TSU, other IPCC Working Group TSUs, the SYR authors and the IPCC Secretariat
- Support the production of SYR from science and technical perspective
- Enhance understanding and impact of the products of the SYR
- Development of the SYR draft reports
The SYR TSU Assistant will assist the Head of the SYR TSU and other TSU members on the following aspects:
- Compilation, editing and checking drafts (including graphs, maps, diagrams, tables, references
- Implementing the expert & government review, and the final government distribution, including the preparing, compiling and sorting review comments
- Contributing to rigorous quality control of the Synthesis report
- Organizing, meetings in virtual or in-person format, including the final IPCC SYR approval session
- Taking notes and making summaries of the meetings related to SYR development
- Preparing progress / status reports for the Panel, the Bureau and the Executive Committee (ExCom) as appropriate
- Maintaining the SYR website and the SYR Document Management System
- Planning and implementing outreach for the SYR, in collaboration with the IPCC Secretariat
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in a field relevant to environmental issues
- Minimum of 1 year experience in climate change science or policy, or environmental project management
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English, and ability to edit written English scientific material
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Office suite high motivation and capability to work remotely in a small international team
- Capacity to work efficiently and respect deadlines, high degree of stress-resistance, including ability to work long hours at peak times
- Willingness to undertake international travel, when international travel resumes
- Experience in international climate policy arena would be desirable
- Familiarity with the processes and work of the IPCC would be an asset
The position will last until the completion of the Synthesis Report currently expected to be September 2022. Salary will be competitive on an international scale. The physical location of work will be flexible.
For more information or questions, please contact Jinmi Kim, Director of Administration, SYR TSU, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please forward your applications with a cover letter, degree certificate and CV with all documents merged into one PDF file by 18 July 2021 by e-mail to: email@example.com