The IPCC Working Group I contribution to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report, Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis, is now available online in an interactive, easily accessible format.
The report has been available in PDF format since its approval in August 2021, with final materials being added as copy editing and post-processing were completed. The new HTML version of the site allows people to more easily read the report online. It also features new interactive design elements that make it easier to navigate the more than one million words and 12 chapters of the report plus the Interactive Atlas, which represents the most complete picture to date of the physical science of climate change.
The site has been optimized for online reading with design elements such as expandable sections. In addition, translations of the report Summary for Policymakers and Technical Summary in PDF format are now available in all 6 UN languages, and links are provided to unofficial translations undertaken by governments and volunteers.
Improved transparency and traceability
The new online version of the report also provides tools that make it easier for climate scientists and users of climate information to navigate the report and find supporting details, references, and data.
- Line of sight and cross references: The Summary for Policymakers and Technical Summary are based on, and traceable to the underlying report, through internal references contained in each bullet point. Between chapters, cross references connect text to related or supporting information. In the new website, these elements are hyperlinked to the actual underlying text and include a preview window, allowing easier navigation.
- Figures and data: Figures are available for easy online viewing as well as for download, and links are provided to the underlying data and code, where available. (For publication of report figures, please refer to the IPCC copyright policy)
Materials for the general public
As part of the Sixth Assessment Report, IPCC has developed a number of materials aimed at unpacking climate science for a general audience. The website includes:
- Frequently Asked Questions, a part of the report written in plain language to explain key concepts underlying each chapter.
- Fact Sheets containing information for regions and sectors (coming soon)
- Presentations and Multimedia including videos, slides, and press information
Input from the public
In building the site, the IPCC web team and Working Group I Technical Support Unit considered feedback from website users solicited via a survey, and implemented best practices in modern web design.
We welcome your feedback on the usability and accessibility of the new site. Please consider filling out our short survey, available via the website, to share your experiences and help us improve the site for all users.