The Technical Support Unit of the IPCC Synthesis Report is seeking an outstanding candidate for a Graphics Officer.
The Synthesis Report Technical Support Unit (SYR TSU) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) provides scientific, technical, operational support for the production of the AR6 SYR under the guidance of the IPCC Chair. The SYR TSU is located in Seoul, Korea at the IPCC Chair Office.
Based on the reports of the three Working Groups (WG) of the IPCC, as well as on the three Special Reports on Global Warming of 1.5°C, on Climate Change and Land, and on the Ocean and the Cryosphere in a Changing Climate, the IPCC AR6 SYR provides an integrated view of climate change science as the final part of the AR6.
IPCC assessments provide a scientific basis for governments at all levels to develop climate-related policies. IPCC assessments are written by international author teams of hundreds of scientists. Further information can be found at www.ipcc.ch.
Detailed scope of work
The SYR TSU is looking for a Graphics Officer to join the team. The successful candidate will have exceptional skills in information and infographics design as well as a strong understnding of climate issues.
The areas for which we seek information design and climate science expertise include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with the IPCC Chair and the Head of the SYR TSU, other IPCC Working Group TSUs, the SYR authors and the IPCC Secretariat
- Support the production of SYR from a visual communication and information design perspective
- Enhance understanding and impact of the products of the SYR
Figure design in the SYR report
- Work closely and assist the SYR authors with the design and preparation of graphics that will combine datasets from across the other IPCC WG products
- Lead the authors in the design of the SYR Summary for Policymakers (SPM) figures, joining creativity and technical skills to lead the development of visually appealing, interactive and/or animated versions of the SPM graphics.
- Make the SPM and Longer report figures more visually appealing and easy to understand than those, more technical contained in the underlying WG material
- Finalise graphics for the layout, printing and interactive presentation of the reports on the IPCC website
- Work directly with the scientist author teams of the SYR to ensure a common visual identity across the report by ensuring all SYR figures are consistent with the Visual Style Guide of the IPCC.
Other visual products
- Create additional visual products for example for the website, social media, printed materials as well as public and stakeholder events, including fact sheets about the SYR and infographics
- Develop new ways to showcase SYR findings for experts, non-specialists and stakeholders
- Expertise in information design using qualitative and quantitative data, demonstrated by a degree and/or several years of work experience
- Demonstrated high interest and strong background in understanding of climate issues
- Capacity to illustrate complex scientific concepts to non-specialist audiences
- Experience in the production of graphics for print, online and other media
- Experience in the production of interactive graphics or animations would be an asset
- Proficiency with graphics design software
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Capability to interact with an international science community and work remotely in an international team
- Capacity to respect deadlines and work productively in a stressful environment
- Willingness to undertake international travel, when international travel resumes
- Knowledge in climate science communications would be desirable
- Familiarity with IPCC processes and work would be an asset
The position will last until the completion of the Synthesis Report currently expected to be September 2022. Salary will be competitive on an international scale. The physical location of work will be flexible. For more information or questions, please contact Jinmi Kim, Director of Administration, SYR TSU, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your CV, portfolio of data visualization works (in PDF less than 20MB), degree certificates, and cover letter with all documents merged into one PDF file to email@example.com by 18 July 2021.